With several of the ICE cars I've owned in the past I would attach a CTEK 8 stage smart battery charger to the 12v for 1

John

Post by John »

With several of the ICE cars I've owned in the past I would attach a CTEK 8 stage smart battery charger to the 12v for 12 hours or more every month. It was more of an insurance to try and prolong the battery life. I'm assuming there's essentially no difference in the Atto 3 12v battery and I could do the same. Thoughts?
Xingyu

Post by Xingyu »

Yes, uses a 12V like any other car.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Depends how long you leave it sitting around.

Not sure about the BYD as I don’t own one yet, but with ICE flooded lead acids lose quite a bit, AGM less so.
It also depends on what the standby consumption is.

Some ICE cars I could comfortably leave for a month and they’d start and drive just fine
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have a ctek on my car permentally and connect it to electricity about once every 3 weeks. I have one on my motorcycle and the battery lasted 8 years, which I thought was good.
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

12v battery is charged by inbuilt battery charger - not alternator - so as long as the main battery is charged there should be no requirement for external charging 😊
John

Post by John »

Just thinking, I haven't checked yet but does anyone know if the 12v battery is a standard lead acid or as there is no need for cranking amps perhaps it's an AGM ?
John

Post by John »

Yes I have the century BM12V monitor on my Atto ( since March). I confirmed with the century battery tech support it would be fine to use on an EV.
Has been very useful to confirm the operation of the new 12v charge protocol. Has worked well until last Tuesday when something has changed… I think I have a parasitic power drain. Charge for two hours , drain for an hour, recharge initiated…. Again and again.
Car booked to go to Dandenong next week for investigation…. The monitor info is very useful for diagnosis. I would fit it. 12v battery itself is showing good condition ….